Butterfly Valve

This is a side angle view of a butterfly check valve. The metal disc which is held by the rod is called the butterfly (because it looks like a butterfly; the metal discs are like wings). Unlike a ball valve or gate valve, this disk is always present within the flow and therefore will cause pressure drop. These are installed in pressurized water pipeline applications to stop or section off flow of water. Note: We said "check" valve but are using the term loosely. A real "check" valve would close automatically, instead of these that are shown here, which require manual work to open and close them.


Tags: , , , , ,

| Print Print